5-Star-Rated Tinnitus Treatment in Phoenix, AZ
Tinnitus: You Do Not Have to Live with it Anymore!
Tinnitus: What Is It?
Tinnitus is the hearing of sound when no external sound is present. While often described as a ringing, it may also sound like a clicking, hissing or roaring. The sound may be soft or loud, low pitched or high pitched and appear to be coming from the ears or in the head. Most of the time, it comes on gradually. When it comes on suddenly some people can not adapt to the tinnitus and place it in the background of their lives. It very much is at the forefront of everything they do every day and can interfere with sleep, concentration, and ability to hear clearly. It is more common in those with high levels of anxiety or depression. Our experienced audiologists are proud to offer 5-star-rated tinnitus treatment in Phoenix, AZ.
Tinnitus: What Causes It?
Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom that can result from a number of underlying causes. The most common causes are noise exposure and aging. Other causes include head trauma, concussion, sudden hearing loss, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, exposure to certain medications, or stopping some medications abruptly.
Tinnitus: Other Factors that May Affect People with Tinnitus
Also, some people with bothersome tinnitus also have an abnormal sensitivity to sound. This is called hyperacusis. Normal, everyday sounds may cause pain for these patients which causes them to retreat only to quiet situations and avoid those places that have a fair amount to noise.
Hyperacusis can also be treated with filtered ear plugs and sound therapies over time. The treatments are designed to reset the central gain control in the brain over time leading to more normal sound sensitivity.
Tinnitus: What Treatments Are Available?
So, the question is….is there any way to lessen or eliminate the tinnitus? The answer is a resounding….YES. Current studies of tinnitus and specialized brain imaging are providing new insights and therapies to help those with bothersome tinnitus.
Here at Arizona Balance and Hearing Aids, we look at the tinnitus patient as a whole and not just a symptom. We are able to determine the type of tinnitus, how it began, how bothersome it is, and how it is affecting each person’s life. We consider the story of each patient and their lifestyle to determine which treatment(s) would be most effective for each patient. We support and guide each patient to achieve the best tinnitus relief possible.
- Information and Education: Studies have shown that learning about tinnitus, demystifying it, and using refocusing strategies, can help some overcome their tinnitus.
- Hearing Technology: This is specific ear level technology that can be programmed to provide neural stimulation to the brain. It is important that this neural stimulation is precise to fit each patient’s brain, not under or over stimulating the brain. This technology can lessen or even take away tinnitus awareness!
- Mindfulness: This is a type of relaxation or meditation practice done on a daily basis that can lessen the brain’s reaction to the tinnitus sound. By doing this, the tinnitus awareness may lessen with time.
- Sound Therapies: There are different sounds or different types of music that can lessen the experience of a patient’s tinnitus when needed.
- Bimodal Stimulation (coming soon): Bimodal stimulation has been highly researched in the past few years as a way to reduce tinnitus.. It is a therapy that involves uses a electrical stimulation in coordination with sound stimulation to target the area of the brain with increased neural activity giving the perception of tinnitus.
Tinnitus: What To Do Next…
To learn more about tinnitus treatment in Phoenix, AZ, please call our office at 602-466-1199 to schedule a full tinnitus evaluation so that we may discuss your particular tinnitus issues and provide solutions in order to guide you to a quieter, more peaceful life. To use our convenient online appointment request form, please Click here. Come experience 5-star-rated care at Arizona Balance and Hearing Aids – we look forward to having you join our family!
2020 Tinnitus Study
We looked at a group of around 60 participants with constant tinnitus. We found that a specific hearing technology helped 95% of the participants decrease their tinnitus! Some had complete relief while wearing the technology! If you are interested in seeing what this technology can do for you please call our office to schedule an appointment.
We are continuing our research on other methods to help reduce tinnitus while not wearing technology and for those who are not good candidates for technology.
As one of the premier audiology practices in Phoenix, AZ, our team at Arizona Balance and Hearing Aids also provides 5-star-rated hearing and balance services to patients from North Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Avondale, Glendale & Peoria, AZ, and surrounding areas.